Saturday, November 26, 2005

3 months later

Today marks three months since I've arrived in Qiqihar (after the plane trips over on the 25th: Sydney to Shanghai & Shanghai to Harbin. Then spending the night in Harbin). It seems so long ago - that first day, that is. Time has certainly flown.

The fear in coming here that I felt at first has seemed to have washed away. I've had dozens of new experiences and seen ways of life that I couldn't have fathomed before. As always there's been the bad parts: beeing overworked and exploited by the school(s), being sick for weeks at a time, the horrible cold that creeps in a bit more each day, class after class of blank faces or sleeping heads on desks, and now: reports of Bird Flu close by!

Possibly the most painful, just now: my first tentative taste of (unfulfilled) lust & romance in such a long time finally crashing and burning - as it always had to, just not on the terms I would've liked...

I always have this feeling of what I'm missing out on. In some ways I miss my comfortable lazy existance at home before I left, but I know I am far better off for the experience. I won't be recommending these Aoqi (aka Auqi) people to anyone who wants to do ESL teaching, but it has been worth it for me. I guess I'm staying until the finish as a form of penance.

Right now, I'm really missing a very good friend, whom I don't get to see very much, since she was fired by the school. I must say that being in contact with her has kept me sane in many ways even if I've been miserable in my heart. I'm just hoping that I haven't completely lost contact, I'm very worried - I feel I've been a fool in many ways. Meeting her is easily the best thing about my trip here...

Anyway, so a few things that still surprise me: camorflage fatigues as a fashion statement; baijiu (a paint-stripper-like spirit) for sale everywhere - I had some at a fast-food joint [the comically named: Mr Lee: California Beef Noodle King U.S.A]; live turtles and frogs for sale in the supermarket; baby clothing with a split in the seat instead of using nappies.
I could go on for ages.

So my biggest concern now, is what will I do when I'm finished? We wind up on the 30th of December (I think) - hopefully I'll be travelling at the end - so many things I want to see before leaving the Middle Kingdom. Maybe I'll try for another job. When I return to australia, I'll be back to being a pauper and not knowing where I'm going - but I guess I'll have a bit more scope about life, now.

So I guess: To infinity and Beyond!

No comments: